Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





15 September 2011

"Mom, do you want to hear the story of how I got pregnant?"

This was a real question, followed by a real conversation, that I had with my four-year-old daughter yesterday.
I have no idea what your four-year-old's talk about, but Maida loves to talk about such things.
I really wonder (and worry about!) what she tells her friends and her teachers at preschool. Conferences should be quite interesting this year!
Our pediatrician says a good imagination is a sign of intelligence. However, I think this almost extends beyond imagination - this is an obsession!
95% of the time Maida has a doll stuffed in her shirt and when I ask if she's ready to go somewhere or do something, she'll reply with something like, "Uh, well, I'm having a little bit of back pain with this pregnancy, so I better just sit and rest for a while."
The other day I walked in to find all of her barbies with things stuffed in the belly of their clothes to make them look pregnant.
Most of the time I try not to have these types of conversations with Maida because I don't want to encourage it. However, for some reason yesterday I decided to say, "Yeah, tell me about how you got pregnant," and then I recorded everything she said.

For the baby book, here is Maida's story of how she got pregnant...

"Well, okay...I was asleep one night and my husband woke me up, put me in the stroller, and went down the ramp. Then we got down to the bottom. When we got down, he got me out of the stroller, opened the back down, slowly lifted me up and laid me down on the laying down seat. So then he buckled me in, shut the door, and said good night. You know, my husband stays up all night, so of course he did that. So, yeah! My husband shut his door and then pulled out. Well, the hospital is three blocks away, so we went brrrrroommmm and then we were there. He took me out and put me in the stroller. He rammed me because he was in a hurry. Then he brought me into the hospital and they cut my belly open and put the baby in. We then went home. He put me to bed and then put himself to bed. And then he, ah, well, the baby was kicking, so he laid down and fell asleep. Well, the next morning I woke up to something kicking in my belly and I was like, “Holy crap! What is kicking in my belly? A bundle?” So later my husband came home from work and said, “What’s on my head?” and I laughed like this: HAHAHAHAHAHA! And then said, “Baby, you just have a headache!” So he went to sleep and I was like, “Wake up! Wake up!” It took, like, forever to get him up, but he had to go to work, so I had to get him up. I took his temperature and it was 115! But he left for work and as he was walking out the door, the baby kicked and I said, “Honey, are we having a baby?” and he said, “Yeah! A baby girl!” He found out it was a girl when he was at work. I told him to call work and say, “I can’t come to work cause I just went to Mayo Clinic to get a baby in my wife’s belly.” And work was like, “What?!?!” So my husband told me a story and put me to sleep on his lap. When I was asleep he said, “Wow, things are complicated.” So he woke me up and brought me to the Mayo Clinic. He told me he thought I had Mastitis, and I did! So the next day he bought me a breast pump and put me in bed cause I needed to rest. When I woke up, though, my hair was all frizzy from the Mastitis and I was like, “Okaaaay.” So then my other kid came up to me and said, “Are you having a baby?” and I said, “Yep, a baby girl.” And then the next day, which was five days in a row of being pregnant, I brought home a baby girl from the hospital."

4 comments:

  1. Kara, that is so hilarious. Charlotte definitely has some funny stories too. She also likes to pretend that she is pregnant, although she doesn't have all the details like Maida since I haven't been pregnant since she's been around. :) We also worry about Charlotte's stories at school. She talks about pets that we don't have, and she always introduces herself as Charlotte Cinderella. We'll have more than a few clarifying questions from the teachers I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. This might be the funniest thing on the internet. She does have a very healthy imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part was when she said "Holy Crap!"....cause that's totally YOU. Wish I could meet this little girl and hear her stories in person. She sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahaha....oh my gosh!! This is AWESOME.

    I have a friend's son (4) who is obsessed with vacuums. He can tell you the make and model of almost every kind. He brings his own hoover (play) vac everywhere. Maida apparently loves pregnancy, babies, and deliveries? Maybe she'll be a midwife? ;)

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin